Today JJ and I got to go to the Brigham City Temple dedication! I was so grateful my mom got up and went to the early one so she could watch the kids while we went.
It was such an amazing experience!! I've been to a number of temple open houses and have loved them, but never to a dedication. I think something that made this so special was that it was the Brigham City Temple!
Hearing President Packer talking about growing up in Brigham was so neat! He had talked about how he met his wife and how they both only lived within a mile of where the temple is now, which is something I also can relate to since we lived there when I was a kid. He talked about what a special valley we live in and how blessed we are to now have a temple here.
His son that is in the Seventy also talked. He talked about how one of his grandpas would walk over the mountain to Logan at the beginning of the week to go to work and would always talk about the temple. This was also mentioned at the ground breaking for the temple. Before the temple was complete alot of the youth in the temple district held a Walk to the Temple. My mom got to participate in it since she is in the YW's in our ward and said how neat it was to do but that she is grateful to have a car so she doesn't have to do that every time she goes to the temple. Anyways he then went on to say how now that the temple is complete we not only need to walk/drive to the temple but we need to go inside the temple and how important temple work is. This really hit me hard because we always drive by the temples so Kyler can see them but we are lacking on actually going in the temple to do a session. And we talked about it after and have agreed to make sure we get to a session more often!
I can't remember her name but the lady that talked in our session made the comment on how when something is new we are usually really excited over it or want to do it all the time but as time goes on we lose our excitement and things start to feel like a chore. She then made the connection between that and going to the temple, and how just because we are excited about the new temple we need to make sure once the newness wears off we are still going and doing the work we need to!
Her husband which is in the Temple Presidency also talked, the thing that stuck out to me the most in his talk was that he had been to a missionary meeting and the missionary presidents wife said how the thing she loved most about being a mom was when she would bath her kids. She loved scrubbing their little feet and hands and how once they were done how the kids were so clean. She then referenced it to baptism and how special it was to know that her kids could always be clean through the atonement. Tonight while I was bathing my boys I sure looked at it completely different than I had before! I know that the days that they are going to be baptized are going to come much faster than I want them to, but it will be so neat at the sametime!
Only one more story...President Nelson had talked about all these different places he has been recently from Rome to Russia to Washington and now to Brigham which is so dear to him. He said how wonderful it has been to see the church grow so much and what a blessing it is to see temples in so many different places. He talked about Jerusalem and how there had been temples built there through out history but everytime they had been destroyed. It has been said there is to be a temple built there again. When he was there last he said he was in some tunnels and there was some Jewish rabbis that were praying they soon turned around and asked a archeologist that was there whats suppose to happen and what they were suppose to do if a new temple was built. His response was,''I don't know ask the Mormons!'' This made the whole congregation laugh.
I cried through out the whole meeting! The spirit was so strong and the whole experience was just amazing! The words of the prayer were so sweet and made me so grateful to be in this valley. The Hosanna shout was very neat to participate in and to see everyone stand up and do it. The whole experience is something I will never forget, and I can't wait to be able to go and do a session and be able to just sit and enjoy the blessings and beauty of it!! I am so grateful to have the temples on our lives and to have been sealed for time and all eternity. I love my little family and realized even more how the temple can be a blessing to us today! I hope Kyler will continue to love the temple as he grows up, and that Xander as well with any other kids we have will learn to love them as well.
Monday, September 24, 2012
Temple Dedication
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment