Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What's The Matter With Me?

That's the question I've been asking myself for a few months now.

After having Xander I've never felt like I have been myself. At first I just thought it was all the postpartum hormones and changes your body goes through. I remember going to the doctor after 6 weeks and hoping I'd finally be able to get back to exercising and maybe that would help me feel better. The day after I had Xander the doctor told me my blood count was extremely low and if it didn't come up I wouldn't be able to go home for a few days and could possibly need a transfusion. The next day it was still low but in the normal range so they let me go. When I went in at 6 weeks postpartum they tested me again to make sure it was still normal, and it wasn't! So they just started me on iron supplements and told me to take it easy. Then I would go in every month and they'd test my blood count. It got really low in October and I ended up having a transfusion. I felt great afterwards and even started to exercise, it was short lived though. Any time I worked out I was completely exhausted for days after. I just didn't get it!

I had already gained weight, which I so wasn't happy with. Then the holidays hit and I gained even more. It was frustrating to me because I was still watching what I ate and yet the weight still piled on. I had lost a good amount of weight prior to having Xander and I would get so mad seeing almost all of it creeping back.

The doctor had me go in right after Christmas to make sure my count was still up. And again it was really low. So I had another transfusion. They also did a number of ultrasounds, x-rays, and a CTscan to see if I had any internally bleeding, but nothing turned up. I again felt better after the transfusion. Made sure to just rest and eat as much iron rich foods as I could. Finally this month my count is normal!!

However, I've still been extremely tried and not feeling like myself. It then dawned on my doctor to check my hormone levels. That wouldn't really effect my blood issue, but it could be whats causing all the other symptoms.

So they took my blood yet again, but this time I got some answers! I have hypothyroidism and most of my other hormone levels are not normal. So they wanted to start me on thyroid medication and birth control. Well I turn into the devil on birth control so I said no to that, but if my hormones don't go back to normal after being on the thyroid meds and trying to lose weight I'll go on it.

It's very weird to me to think I'm only 23 and will have to be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life to keep my body normal. I am thankful to finally know what has been making me feel so crappy though.

I've only been on the medication for a day so I haven't noticed any changes yet but am hoping it will help soon. Once we know if my blood count is stablizing I will start working out again. Let's hope my test next week goes well! My friends from MFP I promise to be back to my kicking butt self soon.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad they figure out what was going on with you! Good Luck next week. And I can't wait to see you posting again on fitnesspal.

    ReplyDelete